You may just want to relax around the pool, rest and read in a hammock, enjoy our lush gardens and look for birds, butterflies, sloths and monkeys - or some of everything!
This area of Costa Rica abounds in things to keep you entranced and entertained. It offers a variety of activities for the entire family as well as the ardent adventurer and dedicated naturalist. You will not have to travel far from Shelter from the Storm to enjoy all that the area has to offer. We will be happy to assist you in advance in booking the right activities for your stay at Shelter from the Storm.
Some Guest Favorites:
This is the number one favorite among our guests! The riding tour is a 12K route with 3 resting periods, departing from the office at 8am where you will ride for 45 minutes to Don Lulo’s House where you will have a delicious and typical Costa Rican breakfast. After breakfast and observing animals in the family’s mini-zoo, the ride continues for another 25 minutes until arriving at the waterfalls. You may swim in the natural pools the waterfalls have formed or rest on the rocks in the sun below. On the way back you will stop at Don Lulo’s House to enjoy a delicious and also typical Costa Rican lunch. After a well-earned rest in the hammocks and a delicious cup of coffee, you will continue on horseback to the starting point arriving around 2pm.www.cataratasnauyaca.com
Hacienda Baru’s 330 hectares (818 acres) have a variety of habitats, from wetlands and secondary rainforests in the lowlands to primary rainforest on the highland coastal ridge.7 kilometers of walking trails and 3 kilometers of pristine beach are here to be explored as well as an orchid garden and butterfly garden. Bird watching, Canopy exploration and Ecological tours are their specialty. The bilingual naturalist guides will help you discover the wonders of the tropical rainforest, such as leaf cutter ants, sloths, and the nesting site of the Common Pootoo. The tours range from Zip Lines, Rainforest Canopy, Mangrove Swamps, or the Jungle at Night.
imitates the flight of the chestnut-mandible toucan, as it leaps off a branch, swoops down through the forest and then up into another tree. On this tour 8 separate cable rides take you from one ridge top to another across valleys and streams. There are 14 land based platforms and 1 tree platform with a view of the coast. You will have 2 guides on this tour, one of whom speaks fluent English. This is a great way to see and learn about the forest and have lots of fun at the same time.
is located within the tip branches of an enormous rainforest tree 34 meters (112 feet) above the ground. You don’t have to do any work on this tour, as they hoist you up to the platform with an electric winch, using a special harness and ropes. A fully trained English speaking guide will be with you on the platform. Most guests stay in the canopy for 30 minutes to 1 hour. This tour is about experiencing the tranquil world of the tree tops, enjoying the canopy flora and, with a little luck, observing whatever fauna might happen by.
Guests scale up a rope that is fixed in the largest upper branches of a rainforest tree. This is done with specialized equipment; harnesses and ascenders. Guests will climb to a height of 35 meters (113 ft.) to sit out on the branches of this beautiful rainforest tree and experience the fascinating world of the canopy. One fully trained, English speaking naturalist guide will instruct and be with you at all times while another guide waits on the ground.
Southern Expeditions is an eco tour company specializing in adventures through the Southern Pacific Coast. Their unique adventure tours offer you an incredible way to experience this amazing region of Costa Rica. The daily tours include: snorkeling and scuba diving at Cano Island, white water kayaking on the Grand Terraba River, ocean kayaking at Ballena National Park, and hiking in the pristine jungle of Corcovado National Park.
Rancho La Merced National Wildlife Refuge is situated on the Pacific Coast near Punta Uvita and the Ballena National Park. The reserve has an area of 1250 acres which is comprised of a forest reserve with both primary and secondary tropical wet forest, as well as pasture, mangrove estuary, and frontage on the Morete River and beach. It offers a wide variety of environments for guests to explore to find amazing birds, reptiles, insects and mammals. Here one can enjoy hiking around the trails of the reserve, enjoy the tropical rain forest and the mangrove, or go horseback riding for pleasure, or visit the Ballena Marine National Park which is located next to the refuge.
With Dominical Surf and Adventures not only do guests have the opportunity to feel the adrenaline of a natural adventure, but also get to know and learn about Costa Rica culture. “Our mission is to share with our clients our love for people, adventure and the environment.” They offer different activities for all tastes: white water rafting, surfing lessons, waterfall hikes, nature watching, and multi-day adventure packages. Guests can design their trips with help of the English speaking staff and guides.
- Dominical/Uvita area has world class surfing beaches! The beaches are also a great place to body surf.
- Visit the South Pacific's only Reptile Garden. Observe spectacular reptiles and many other wildlife native to Costa Rica and beyond in lush, natural settings.
- Dine in a wide variety of wonderful restaurants, and browse through area gift stores to find just the right souvenirs to take back home.
- Spend the day swimming or looking for shells at one of our many beautiful beaches.
- Kayak along the Terraba River or ocean caves near Playa Ventanas (Ventanas Beach).
- See and hear Scarlett Macaws at Corcovado National Park and tour the mangrove canals by boat on the way.
- Look for many of our nocturnal animals, including crocodiles, on a nighttime boat tour of the mangroves.
- Pamper yourself with spa services or a great massage in the privacy of your villa.
- Learn all about butterflies at the Uvita Butterfly Farm.
- Experience "outward bound" type of adventures: rappel down the face of a waterfall at Diamante Waterfalls.
- Learn or brush up on your Spanish with private or group classes.
- Dance at Roca Verde on Saturday nights.
- Watch a classic movie at Movies in the Jungle on Friday nights.
- "Flight see" along the coast and over mangrove canals in an ultra-light airplane.
- Fish our world class Pacific Coast fishing destinations - catches off our coast include sailfish, marlin, mahi-mahi, snook and snapper.
- Take a day trip to Manuel Antonio National Park for more wildlife and/or snorkeling.
- Rent a scooter or bicycle in Dominical.
- Go on an ATV tour of the area with a guide or on your own.
- Hire your own boat and create your own water-based adventure.
- Discover the remote Drake Bay on the Osa Peninsula.